Content Representation With A Twist

Friday, June 22, 2007

"big wet transistors" and "spaghetti wiring"

Doing the homework I caused myself, now have to do sent me back to the "10 Important Differences Between Brains and Computers" article of Chris Chatham I cross-read earlier today. His article reader Jonathan points out several weaknesses in Chris Chatham's argumentation. Although I consider him mostly right with his objections, I consider it nitpicking, mostly. In the end, I don't see the point he's about to make. Jonathan's arguing "[...] there must be some level of modularity occurring in the brain. My gut instinct is telling me here that a brain based completely on spaghetti wiring just wouldn't work very well..." obviously takes not into consideration that the single neurons themselves might be the entities of the brain that do the processing and that do constitute memory -- memory and processing in once. On this point, I am far from his arguments.

Another interesting point the reader Kurt van Etten puts into the round: "[...] (I do think a lot of writers equate neurons with big wet transistors)," -- Hm, I learned electrotechnics when in IT support assistant education, and every now and then I ponder about how to cast MOM nodes into hardware, but when doing so, I primarily think of the content storable by such a node. That I might make use of a transistor for that is a negligibility. -- I didn't think so far yet, but I don't presume to cast a MOM node into hardware to utilize transistors might be the only way. Anyway, interesting to learn like what the major part of people occupied by the topic might imagine a single neuron. ... Right now, I think that imagination might be a bit too simplified and doing so might lack this or that important property of a real neuron, hence anyone reducing their imagination of a single neuron to that simplicity might miss this or that important condition or might fail to get this or that insight, just because of a too restricted ("simplified") look at the matter.
 

... Well, I got up to comment number 18, but that one might need some deeper consideration. Hence, now I make a break and might continue with pondering that #18 comment later.

During reading the comments I opened some more links provided there, mostly by the commenters` names linking to these sites:
      
Updates:
20070623.12-42h CEST: added a headline to the posting

No comments: